Thursday, December 15, 2011

Shilin Night Market

I remember being lacking sleep from our red eye flight and so exhausted from our first day's adventures in Taipei. It was still early, we decided to stop by at the hotel and rest for a while before venturing out.

A little bit rested, and despite being still full from our Din Tai Fung meal and desserts from Hello Kitty Sweets, Hubby and I made our way to Shilin Night Market to try out some traditional Taipei street food. None was healthy, I guarantee you.


While browsing through some blogs about Taipei and the Shilin Night market, stall number 200 came highly recommended for their oyster cake/omelette. As we were going through the market, we noticed that locals also eat at stall 200. I think that's a good sign, right?



We ordered one oyster cake, which always come with Thick Squid Soup.


I liked the Oyster Cake which comes with brown sauce. Hubby didn't like it too much because it was too oily.




Hubby also ordered some Stinky Tofu (which was very stinky, I tell you). Hubby loves the Stinky Tofu. He ordered two! I personally don't prefer it. But it probably grows on you, like a fungus or something, he he he.


To wash it all down, we ordered some fresh watermelon shake from another stall. I ordered the mango pineapple. Both were quite refreshing after an oily meal.

Fresh fruit juices abound all over Taipei. The Taiwanese love them fresh fruits. I noticed too that sodas are not very common in food stalls and food courts and very few people drink them. There was a point that we thought that it may be illegal to drink sodas, ha ha ha!

After our meal and meandering through the food stalls, Hubby wanted to try some bubble tea. He liked it but, wanted it to be more sweet.


What a great first day in Taipei!

I didn't realize that I would love Taipei this much, but I do! :-) I can't wait to go back.

No comments: