Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Din Tai Fung, Taipe 101

From Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall, Hubby and I walked to Taipei 101. It was cold, it was raining and we got soaked. But I was eager to see Taipei 101 for one main reason, Din Tai Fung.


Din Tai Fung. Oh-em-gee!

Din Tai Fung is the only Asian restaurant to be awarded a Michelin 1 rating. It is rated as one of the world's best ten restaurants. That rating is so well deserved. I would go back to Taipei just for Din Tai Fung. That's how great the food was. So worth the plane ride and the cold rainy weather.

Din Tai Fung is ALWAYS full. You have to patiently wait for your number to be called. As you wait, you are requested to fill in an order form and choose from their wide array of dishes. The order form is in Mandarin, but there are numbers corresponding to a dish, which they have included in their English menu, so it's not too complicated.

Hubby and I ordered Shrimp Shaomai (siomai in Tagalog). This is very good. Worth ordering again. The wrapper is handmade fresh daily.


I ordered Noodles with Pork and Vegetable Dumpling. This is quite light and healthy. The soup is mild and not too over powering in taste.


Hubby ordered the Beef Noodle, Taiwan's specialty. It was really really good. The beef was to tender and the soup was excellent, bit spicy, but just right. This is the gold standard for beef noodle soup.


Din Tai Fung's specialty is the Xiao Long Bao. Xiao Long Bao are handmade dumplings with savory filling.


The way to eat a Xiao Long Bao is this:

1. Make the sauce. In a small dish with finely julienned ginger, add one part soy sauce and three parts black vinegar.

2. Dip the delicious Xiao Long Bao in the sauce. Place the dumpling in a Chinese spoon. (I like to add more sauce at this point)


3. Puncture the dumpling to release the steam and some of the juices into the spoon and devour.

OMG, the flavor just explodes in your mouth. It's so good. I get hungry just thinking about it.

We tried the Truffle Xiao Long Bao and the Original Pork Xiao Long Bao. Both were excellent but, liked the Truffle better.

For the truffle Xiao Long Bao, you don't need to dip it in the sauce, but both ways are good.

Hands down, Din Tai Fung is one of my favorite restaurants. I would go back to Taipei, just for this.

Yes, dammit. I will fly to Taipei just to eat Xiao Long Bao :-)


Din Tai Fung has branches in Hong Kong, Singapore, Seoul, Japan, Indonesia, China, US and Australia.






I have no idea why I only ate at Din Tai Fung now, but, I am so glad I did!

I hope they open a branch in Manila soon!

No comments: