Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Chicken Barbecue Sticks

I'm trying my best not to disrupt hubby's food "traditions". I'm trying the swapping thing to help both of us be healthier.

Hubby's nutritionist told me to limit hubby's intake of fried foods, fatty foods and have more fiber in hubby's diet. Vegetables and fruits should always be present in all meals. Use olive oil instead of regular oil. Seems simple enough but, (there's big BUT) if you're like us who love pork, sweets and anything sinful, it's a major change. We still like to eat foods that we love.

We love barbecue. Since we can only have pork once a week, no skin on the chicken, I just purchased some raw chicken barbecue sticks from the supermarket, already cut and threaded. I used a classic Filipino barbecue marinade and just made a bit healthier by using chicken breast meat. I hardly measure anything when cooking savory foods. The measurements for the marinade are just an approximation.

Chicken Barbecue Sticks



12 sticks of raw chicken barbecue, marinated in:
1/4 cup Soy sauce
1/5 cup Calamansi juice
5 cloves (or more) of chopped garlic
Pepper
1/4 cup banana catsup
Optional: 7 up

Grill on hot coals until done.

We had some blanched squash and green peas with it. It was surprisingly good. Who would have thought?

No comments: