Friday, June 1, 2007

My First Cupcake Attempt-A Comedy of Errors

I've always been intimidated by cupcakes. They look so delicate and pretty and I assumed that they were quite complicated to bake. I chanced upon this recipe and it looks simple enough to do. I gathered all the ingredients from my pantry, jotted down the recipe and proceeded with baking.

The problem with jotting down recipes, is either you forget one essential ingredient or one essential procedure. The first batch that made was a complete disaster. I had forgotten to add the milk to the batter. I only realized that I had forgotten the milk when the cupcakes were already baking.

If that wasn't bad enough, my cupcake tins of 12 didn't fit my tiny oven. I had to remove the rack and place stainless steel bowls to prop up the muffin tins. Ayayay!

I ended up with vanilla cookies baked in muffin tins. They tasted great but they were hard as a rock. Best used for pamato for piko or to throw at burglars or something else other than eating them.

Undaunted and with sheer determination, I made another batch, this time carefully reading the instructions and carefully adding and measuring all the ingredients. This batch came out perfectly. It baked exactly 18 minutes and the batter puffed up to soft yet rich vanilla cupcakes. I was very pleased with how they turned out. This recipe yielded exactly 24 medium-sized vanilla cupcakes. I used a spring loaded ice cream scoop to measure out the batter in the individual muffin cups for uniformity.



Now, if I can just perfect the cream cheese frosting.

2 comments:

Socky said...

Practice makes perfect!

ericbau said...

A comedy of good-tasting errors. =)