Thursday, June 14, 2007

Apple and Cinnamon Muffins

I've finally started baking from my new cupcake book. My first choice is apple and cinnamon muffins. It looks easy enough to make, idiot proof even. I've made some adjustments on the recipe (my changes are in italics). Here's the recipe as published in the 500 Cupcakes by Fergal Connolly:

Apple and Cinnamon Muffins




2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups superfine sugar (1 cup regular sugar, very briefly processed in a blender)
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup sweet butter (1/4 cup salted butter), melted
2 eggs lightly beaten (room temperature)
3/4 cup buttermilk (1 teaspoon of vinegar plus enough regular milk to make 1 cup, let stand for 5 minutes before use)
2 small apples (granny smith), peeled, cored and finely diced

Preheat oven to 350degrees. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan. (I lined 18 medium sized muffin tins with parchment cupcake cups).

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the oil, butter, eggs and buttermilk with an electric mixer until well combined. Add the flour mixture and beat until nearly combined. Stir in the apples. Do not over mix. Spoon (I used an ice cream scoop for even batter distribution) the mixture into the prepared pan.

Bake for 20 minutes. (Mine baked for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean). Remove pan from the oven and cool 5 minutes. Then remove the muffins and cool on a rack.

Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days or freeze up to 3 months.




The result:
My version is lighter and less sweet because I used more buttermilk and less sugar. I prefer a less dense muffin.

A dollop of whipped cream or a smear of butter would be nice with this muffin. Great with a cup of coffee too.

1 comment:

ericbau said...

Cant wait to taste them tonight!