Thursday, April 5, 2007

Unusual Desserts

One time, hubby was in the mood for some Japanese food and we happen to be in the Roxas Boulevard area. We opted to dine in Kimono Ken at the Blue Wave mall. We ordered the usual fare that we both favored. Katsudon, Gyudon and Futo Maki. A unique dessert caught my eye. It was the Mango Tempura.

Mango Tempura is basically just fried mangoes with tempura batter. Topped with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. My curiosity got the better of me, so I ordered it. I was quite disappointed, it didn't meet my expectation on several levels. First, the mango wasn't sweet enough. Second, the tempura batter was too bland, some powdered sugar on the batter would have improved the taste remarkably. Third, the ice cream was just your run off the mill variety, I was hoping that it was home made like some Japanese restaurants have. Last, I would have preferred a vanilla syrup or condensed milk instead of the chocolate. Of course, this is just my personal preference. The price was cheap enough, it was just P80.00 per order. You're better off with a mango parfait somewhere else. Barring that, the food in Kimono Ken is pretty good and quite affordable. Meal for two would typically cost P700 with drinks and one shared dessert.

Another dessert that caught my eye was the strawberry cheesecake of Starbucks (P120 per slice). Their version is very different from the traditional cheesecake
with strawberry topping. Theirs has a nut crust, I'm guessing cashew nuts. It's quite hard to tell because the nuts were pounded to oblivion. The crust is not too cinnamon-y which is great because it doesn't overpower your taste buds. The cheesecake itself is light and not too sweet, just the way I like it. What's so unusual about it is that the cheesecake itself is topped with a thin layer of sponge cake, jam and then about an inch of strawberry mousse which was really really good. Finally, paper thin slices of strawberries and clear gelatin. Yummy. Perfect with your cup of Joe. It was so good, I ordered it again the following night :-)

1 comment:

Random Possum said...

yum-oooo...just looking at those desserts i gained 5 pounds :-)