Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Simple Strawberry Trifle

Hubby and I found some really great strawberries at the supermarket last night. We bought some and I made strawberry trifle. Same as the one that I made on Valentine's day.

It can be made in four easy steps:

1. Cube the store-bought Taisan or sponge cake and place a single layer on your bowl. You can use pound cake or butter cake for this recipe. I prefer Taisan because it's lighter and fluffier.

2. Hull, cut and marinate strawberries in balsamic vinegar. You can do away with the balsamic vinegar if your strawberries are already super sweet. Save some (unmarinated) for garnish.

3. Make the whipped cream. Make sure that you chill your cream, mixing bowl and whisk before whipping the cream. Add powdered sugar and vanilla (as much or as little as you want) to the cream and whisk until double in volume.

4. Layer. Taisan first, then the drained strawberries followed by the cream. Repeat. Garnish with cut-up strawberries. Chill to set.


For extra punch, you may add a layer of strawberry jam after the layer of Taisan.

The trifle that I made on Valentine's Day looked better because I refrigerated the cream a day ahead and placed it in the coolest part of the refrigerator. This time, I placed the carton of cream in the egg tray that's why it's a little gooey. Don't make the same mistake that I did. Good luck!

No comments: