Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Mango Refrigerator (?!) Cake

I remember my lola who used to make the creamiest mango refrigerator cake ever. I was desperate to make it. I had remembered only bits and pieces on how it was made. I only remember that it had rum, broas (lady fingers), mangoes, cashews, cream and condensed milk.



After finally getting the courage to wing the recipe, I did it. I was so disappointed when it was done. I totally got the proportions wrong! Hay naku! The cream and condensed milk sauce was too runny and the broas that I got were too soft and soaked up the rum too fast. I even forgot to add the cashews. I had to freeze it to keep it together. Palpakation, as my dad would say.

I made more than enough for hubby and myself so I shared half of the cake with my mom. Of course I told her it's nothing like lola's. When I handed it to her yesterday she said that it's supposed to have egg yolks in it. Ayayay, now she tells me.

My mom finally tasted my botched refrigerator cake. She called me this morning and she and my nephew Jay-jay loved it. Maybe it's the rum, no?

1 comment:

Daniw de Leon said...

When we tried this we encountered a similar problem: the broas became soggy. How did you solve this problem?