Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Pasta with Broccoli and Pine Nuts

My love affair with bacon continues. I had leftover dried fettuccine and spaghetti noodles that is just enough for one person and some of the ingredients already on hand so I concocted this simple pasta dish. Despite it's simplicity, it's quite rich and filling.



Pasta with Broccoli and Pine Nuts

Dried fettuccine or spaghetti
4-5 pieces bacon, sliced
1/2 cup Broccoli florets
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
Olive oil
1 tablespoon of butter
Parsley, chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 cup pine nuts
Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese (optional)

1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
2. Boil broccoli florets in pasta water for 2-3 minutes.
3. In a non-stick pan, cook bacon until the fat is rendered. Drain in paper towels. Discard fat.
4. In the same pan, saute garlic in olive oil and butter. Do not brown. Add bacon, pasta, broccoli, pine nuts and chopped parsley. Season to taste. Toss very well.
5. Place grated cheese on top. Serve immediately.

If you hate broccoli (like my hubby does), asparagus is a great option. I prefer my pine nuts not toasted, you can toast yours before adding to the pasta. Just watch them carefully because they burn quite easily.

2 comments:

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

Mmmm...bacon! Don't you love throwing together a dish with ingredients you need to use up?

Leica said...

I absolutely love bacon. If I can eat it everyday I would! I'm trying to cut down on pork. Trying being the operative word here :-)