Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day, Prep time

Whew! What a busy weekend. I spent my entire Saturday baking in preparation for Mother's Day celebration the following day. I've made four desserts. I originally planned for just one. Carrot cake. Hubby tells me the night before that he doesn't want carrot cake and would prefer to have something else but couldn't decide what he wanted. I had already promised the carrot cake to my mom. I desperately searched for recipes that I could use. I settled for 2, Carrot and butter cakes. But what about my mother-in-law? I had to bake her something too. She likes leche flan and I decided to make one for her too.

As my husband went off to have our car serviced, I prepare everything that I need. Lo and behold, I don't have enough sugar! I hurriedly drove to the supermarket to buy some. Fortunately there's a supermarket near our home.

I finally start baking. First up, the butter cake. I've always loved this simple cake and has been looking for a great recipe. I finally came upon a recipe from Food Magazine for butter rum cake. I decided to fore go the rum since we will have kids dining with us. I placed the batter in a bundt pan that my mom had gifted me a few years ago. It's pretty with little edges. Takes a few steps to make but my butter cake came out perfectly. I'm very happy. It's another Martha Stewart moment for moi.

Hubby came home for lunch and was eagerly waiting for his meal because he could smell the butter cake baking and he was hungry. I was a bit tired already from the heat and from making the cake. I just steamed some shrimps and heated the leftover rice. Sorry hubby that's all I'm cooking. I have a lot to do. He was pretty happy with the meal and eagerly finished everything.

Next on my Agenda was the carrot cake. Oh my golly, it needs three cups of grated carrots? Oh boy, as I was grating the carrots, I was thinking to myself, "what did I get myself into?" Fortunately, it too came out perfectly. Yey! Moist and fragrant.

The leche flan was next. I used my previous recipe and watched it carefully so that I won't have the burnt edges. Came out perfectly also. I was on a roll, people!

Leftover egg whites? Why, make meringue of course! Hubby suggested to make meringue instead of throwing away the eggwhites. There were a total of 2 cups leftover! Well, actually hubby wanted me to make canonigo but I've already used the tall cake pan. So, meringue it is. The meringue tasted great but it looked like poop :-) because I don't have the proper equipment to pipe the meringue.

I was exhausted! Fortunately Tito Boy invited mom, hubby and myself to dinner and I didn't have to cook.

Hubby was a sweetie as usual and gave a me a long massage. Haay.... sarap. I slept like a baby afterwards. Sheer bliss.

No comments: