Monday, May 7, 2007

Fast Food Day

It's been a very busy day for me with endless errands and mounting housework clamoring for my attention. I had decided that I won't do any major cooking today. Everything will be "fast food" and less fuss as possible.

For brunch I decided to use leftovers from the fridge. I needed something quick and easy and delicious to eat. I had some leftover taba ng talangka (crab fat) calling my name to be cooked. Aligue fried rice it is. Here's a super simple recipe:



Aligue Fried Rice
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup leftover rice
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon aligue
Green peas
Cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped

1. Scramble the egg in a wok. Break in small pieces. Set aside.
2. In the same pan, saute the garlic in olive oil until golden brown.
3. Add the rice and season with salt. Mix well to remove clumps.
4. Add the aligue and mix well. When thoroughly mixed, add green peas and scrambled egg. Turn off the heat. Add cilantro leaves and mix once more.

The cilantro gives a refreshing flavor to an otherwise salty dish.

If you're making this for a special occasion, you can add leeks, shrimps, leftover barbecue, chorizo, shredded chicken or flaked tinapa (smoked fish then fried and flaked). Be sure to warn your guests though that this is very high in cholesterol and should be eaten in moderation.

After finishing my wifey duties, I felt hungry once more. I was craving for a peanut butter and banana sandwich. I sauteed the banana in a mixture of butter, nutmeg, sugar and cinnamon. Yum!



I called hubby earlier at work today and and told him that I won't be making dinner tonight. We'll just have the left over tacos from yesterday but with soft tortilla instead of the taco shell. Of course, he agreed. There are only two types of leftovers that he will eat wholeheartedly. Pizza and tacos. I had to make another batch of salsa though since we ate everything yesterday.

For dessert, we just had a bowl of fresh fruits. A healthy combination of our favorite fruits in one heavenly bowl.

No comments: