Friday, May 11, 2007

Dining Japanese

Between attending a funeral, running errands, cooking, baking and mounds and mounds of laundry, I called my husband yesterday almost in tears. I don't want to cook dinner, I'm exhausted! He readily agrees and said we could have dinner anywhere I liked. Such a sweetie.

I've been wanting to eat at Omakase since I've read it in Carol's blog. They have a reputation of a "new age" Japanese restaurant with inventive takes on their makis. Hubby and I both love Japanese and are always eager to try new places. I was pretty excited of our impromptu date. I put on my new dress and even curled my hair and wore my favorite red shoes. Hubby called me sexy as soon as he saw me (even though I felt like collapsing out of sheer exhaustion). Shucks, he knows how to say the right words when I needed them the most.

The place is cozy and located at the ground floor of Susana Building in Madrigal Avenue, Alabang. You will hardly notice it unless you know it's there. The place was packed with families, yuppies and young couples on a date. We had to wait a few minutes to get a table. I mentioned to hubby that the food must be good if there's a line of people waiting to be seated.

Hubby and I were both famished and ordered a lot from the menu. For starters, we ordered the Special Miso Soup (P55) and the Tamago Miso Soup (P45). We were sadly disappointed. My tamago miso soup just had fried egg mixed in the soup. What gives? I thought it'll have the tamago "curd" that I love so much. The special miso soup had just extra serving of tofu in it. Nothing really special in it at all.

Next, we had their makis. First up the Jurassic Maki (P230) which has ebi tempura, kani, ebiko, salmon skin and unagi. It was good on the first bite but a little malansa (very fishy taste) as you eat it. Does not leave a pleasant after taste. Makes me want to gargle with Listerine after eating it.



Then, we attached the Spider Maki (P185) which is a maki with deep fried soft shell crabs inside it. The "tentacles" are really the claws of the soft-shelled crabs. Hence, the name. This one is good but a bit salty for our tastes.



A visit to any Japanese restaurant won't be complete without hubby ordering his favorite Futomaki (P115). Omake's version is a definite winner. It was delicious and refreshing after the heavy tastes of the Jurassic Maki and Spider Maki.



I was feeling a bit adventurous so I ordered the Uni Tempura (P175) which is sea urchin wrapped in nori, dipped in tempura batter then friend. I love uni, normally. But, ugh, this one is super lansa I only ate one piece. Even the lemon that I squeezed on the uni didn't help. I will never order that again.



I don't know if hubby and I would go back there again. Maybe the chef/cook on duty that night was having a bad day that all of his dishes turned out malansa or salty. On the other hand, people flock there so I guess it's a hit and miss type of restaurant.

The jury is still out on this one, folks.

No comments: