Monday, March 1, 2010

Summery Trifle

Hubby and I felt a bit lonely last weekend because the house feels empty without children's laughter. We invited my family for an impromptu potluck lunch. We scrounged up some pretty decent food despite the very short notice.

My mom, who's hypertensive, brought the most sinful food of them all, liempo, which the housekeepers fried up. My mom, a condo dweller also misses fried fish and had asked the housekeepers fry up some, too!



I had some chicken thighs in the freezer and baked them. My rosemary herb is also doing well in my garden and I added some fresh sprigs for an interesting taste.



My sister-in-law brought some grilled pork barbecue and grilled squid, which is one of my nephew's favorite food.





For dessert, I had some cream and graham cracker crumbs in my pantry and made a simple Summery Trifle using mangoes and strawberries which are in season now. Here's the recipe:

Summery Trifle



1 pack Graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 cups all purpose cream, chilled
1 can condensed milk, chilled
Strawberries, hulled and sliced
Fresh mango, cubed or balled with a melon baller

1. Mix together graham cracker crumbs and sugar, set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, preferably cold, whip together the cream and the condensed milk. Set aside.
3. To assemble: layer graham cracker crumb mixture, cream and then fruits. Repeat ending with cream
4. Chill for at least 3 hours before serving.

The Graham cracker crumbs can be replaced with broas, taisan or sponge cake, butter cake, sliced chocolate cake, brownies and whatever cake you may have. Just omit the sugar. I only had the graham cracker crumbs on hand so I used that, turned out great, despite being a bit messy when scooped up.

No comments: