Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Carrot Cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Don't you just hate it when you are craving for something and you know that nothing can satisfy that craving until you make it yourself? Well, I found myself baking in the kitchen in the middle of the night doing exactly that.

This is the best carrot cake recipe that I have encountered. This recipe is from Delores Custer, a food stylist who came to Manila a couple of years ago (2007, I think) to teach a short seminar about food styling. Anyway, I know that I blogged it here somewhere but I didn't publish the recipe. This Carrot Cake is very moist. I made some adjustments on the frosting, as you may notice in my pics, the frosting is not very fluffy since I had to drastically cut the sugar to prevent it from being too sweet. More sugar makes the frosting prettier and fluffier though.

Custer’s Carrot Cake



Ingredients
2 cups cake flour, sifted
2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs, room temperature
3 cups shredded carrots
1 tsp vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Line cupcake tins and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
4. Blend in vegetable oil.
5. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then mix in carrots and vanilla (by hand or with an electric mixer.)
6. Pour batter into 3/4 full into prepared cupcake tins. Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Mine baked perfectly at 18 minutes.
7. Let cool completely then frost with cream cheese frosting.

Note: The batter will rise up and bubble a little bit while baking. Filling cupcake tins only halfway worked better for me. Less of the the "lava" effect but resulted in a smaller daintier cupcake.



Cream cheese frosting (My version)

1/2 bar cream cheese, softened
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) Butter, room temperature
1 1/4 confectioner’s sugar, sifted (or to taste)
1 tsp vanilla

1. In a medium bowl of an electric mixer, beat together cream cheese and butter until creamy.
2. Gradually add sifted confectioner’s sugar and vanilla, mixing well until smooth and of spreading consistency. This will take a while to really come together, about five minutes or so.

Enjoy!

No comments: