Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Savory Cheese Cupcake

You know when you have that dreadful craving for the stuff that you used to eat when you were a child? I remember one of my favorite baked treats was a cheese cupcake wrapped in plastic that you buy in a supermarket or at a school cafeteria. Back then, there weren't any sophisticated varieties available anywhere. Well, none that I know of anyway.

I've been having that craving again. The ones in the market now are not as good as I remembered them. I baked some tonight from a vague recipe that I saw on the net. The recipe obviosly needs a bit more tweaking. The batter turned out a bit dry after baking. I watched the cupcakes carefully and tested its doneness. Anyway, I would probably cut down on the flour a little bit next time to have a less dense cupcake. The condensed milk though very yummy, was a bit too thick for the kind of fluffyness that I want. Come to think of it, the ones from my chilhood was dense too albeit shinier than my version.

In case you're interested, here's the recipe that I used:



Savory Cheese Cupcake

Ingredients:

1 cup butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 can condensed milk
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3 cups all purpose flour (I suggest to add less)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese, divided

1. In a bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
2. In another mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy.
3. To the butter mixture, add sugar and beat well.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, incorporating well after each addition.
5. Add the sifted flour and baking powder to the batter, followed by the condensed milk. Do this alternately ending with the milk.
6.Mix in half of the grated cheese. Bake for 20-23 minutes to a 350 degree pre-heated oven.
7. Halfway through baking, add the rest of the grated cheese and top. Put back into the oven and continue baking until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

These babies are dense, one cupcake is more than enough to satisfy your hunger.

The cupcakes turned out delicious, but not gourmet quality...Back to the drawing board.

Update:

Hubby liked the cupcake and woke me up when he arrived to tell me how good it was :-)

2 comments:

法榮 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Patchie said...

Hello!

My husband and I have also been craving for cheese cupcakes similar to what we had when we were in grade school. Just wondering if you were able to yield fluffy and light cheese cupcakes already...if so, can you share your recipe, pretty please? :)