Saturday, August 6, 2011

Seafood Boil .... my version

Hubby's been sick for the past few days. I guess it's due to the rainy weather that we've been having for the past few weeks. He's also been working extra long hours at work (more than the usual long hours.... Haaay).

To cheer Hubby up, I decided to cook today and bake his favorite dessert. After buying some of the ingredients from the market, I started my very long day cooking and baking. The baking adventures will be on my next post :-)

While I was watching TV the other night, I saw a seafood boil cooking demo and wanted to try something similar at home. I Am so glad I made this because the recipe is so good. I've a changed the recipe based on the things that were available in the market and some things that were already in my pantry.

Simple Seafood Boil

Olive oil
1 Chorizo de Bilbao, cubed
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 small red onion
1/2 kilo mussels, cleaned
1/2 kilo clams, soaked in water for two hours, to remove the sand
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 small potato, cooked and cubed
1 roasted green pepper, charred skin removed and then cubed
1/2 can of whole kernel corn, drained
1 1/2 cups parley leaves, chopped
Zest and juice of one lemon
Butter

1. Sauté chorizo in olive oil, add garlic and onion and sauté until fragrant. Do not brown.

2. Add all mussels, clams, stewed tomatoes, potato, green pepper and corn. Cover and simmer just until the shells open. Maybe five minutes or so. NO need to add salt.



3. Add in lemon juice and lemon zest, parsley and butter right before turning off the heat. You need a lot of parsley for this.

So good! The lemon zest, lemon juice, parley and butter really compliment this dish, do not scrimp on that when you are making this. I was finally able to use my micrplane (yey!), which I bought way back in November at William Sonoma in New York.



I would imagine, adding lemon grass to the broth and some cilantro would also have a Thai feel to the dish and would also be good. I would probably try that next time. This dish will have many repeat performances (and several variations) in our home :-) Try it!



For desert, we whipped up some Mais con Yelo (literally means, corn on ice). Here's a super quick recipe:

Ice Cubes
Evaporated milk
Sugar or condensed milk
Cream-style corn




1. Blend ice cubes, evaporated milk, sugar and some of the cream style corn in a blender.

2. Place remaining cream-style corn on glasses and top with blended corn and milk mixture.

How was your Saturday? :-)

No comments: