Thursday, April 16, 2009

Autralia Part 13: National Gallery of Victoria

The weather wasn't cooperating that day. When I left our hotel, it was cloudy and windy. I decided to take the Nikon and leave the tripod at the hotel, lest I got caught in a storm. I saw on the news that Sydney was having torrential rain and it looked like Melbourne will get some rain showers as well.

My first stop was National Gallery of Victoria. The gallery has a very iconic and impressive door made of glass with cascading water.





The gallery is free. You can spend the whole day there if you love the arts. The gallery holds an impressive collection of African, Egyptian, Roman artifacts. Here are some of things that I saw there that fascinated me:



After the museum, I saw the Free Hop on Hop Off Melbourne City Tourist Bus in front and decided to hitch a ride and go around Melbourne. The bus has 13 stops in various tourist attractions within Melbourne. For more information, click here.

It was close to lunch time and the much-needed rain was pouring with all its might. I took shelter at the Queen Victoria Market and had a slice of pizza and warm cappuccino at Market Lane Cafe:





After that, I proceeded to Cole's, one of Australia's major supermarkets (the other is Woolworth's) and bought some fruits for hubby. The strawberries in Australia are the best. It's like biting into sugar cubes. They're so sweet and succulent! The photo I have here are just the small ones, which are equally sweet as their large counterparts. Yummy!

No comments: