Saturday, January 19, 2008

Penne with Prawns

I initially planned on just frying some prawns that I bought from the market. But I saw some tinned tomatoes lurking in the pantry and opted to make a pasta dish instead. Hubby was at a supermarket for his daily office lunch with his colleagues and I wrangled him into buying some bell peppers and fresh basil leaves for my pasta
dish.

This is very easy and fast to make with just the most basic of ingredients.

Penne with Prawns

Dried Penne, cooked according to package directions
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3-4 Cloves of garlic, chopped
1 Large onion, chopped
1 Can diced tomatoes
1 Can crushed tomatoes
Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional but highly recommended)
1 Bunch basil leaves, torn
1/4 kilo of prawns, peeled
1 Green bell pepper, cubed
salt and pepper to taste
Queso de Bola (Edam cheese), cubed (don't scrimp!)

Saute garlic and onions in olive oil until soft, do not brown. Add the tinned tomatoes, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Simmer until the tomatoes are a bit dark, about ten minutes. Add half of the basil leaves.

Add peeled prawns and diced bell pepper to the tomato sauce. Cook for 2-3 minutes, just until the prawns are cooked. Add the pasta, the rest of the basil leaves
and cubed queso de bola. Toss well to coat. The sauce will thicken a bit when the queso de bola is melted.


(OK, it looks like I had too much sauce here in this picture, I eventually added more pasta and loads more queso de bola to it)

Serve piping hot, best eaten with a loved one.

Enjoy and say ahhh...yummm......

3 comments:

P said...

Hay, reminds me I should be doing more cooking at Shang!

Socky said...

Ooops, that wasn't Poch :-)

Leica said...

:-)