Monday, January 21, 2008

Dinner with my BFF

My best friend (of 24 years) Jhon-ann, invited me to dinner today to cheer me up since hubby's out of the country and I was feeling a bit lonely. Since she loves Italian food, she chose Chef d' Angelo in Greenbelt 1 for our night of pigging out. The food's reasonably priced and the servings are generous. I've eaten there once but wasn't very impressed with the food. Hey, I was willing to give it another go.

The place itself is very homey and unpretentious, tables are placed side by side to encourage diners to eat family style, similar to what you would experience if you had your entire clan for dinner. Fortunately, it was quite late, the place wasn't packed and we practically had one of the long tables to ourselves.

My BFF ordered the Combo 1 platter which has carbonara, a slice of Hawaiian pizza and fried chicken. A very hearty meal reminiscent of the Shakey's bunch of lunch but with bigger portions. The Carbonara sauce is light and not too heavy and more importantly not too salty, pizza's just your ordinary run of the mill ham and pineapple combo, and the chicken is quite dry and tough. Maybe because it's the breast part. I hate fried chicken breasts, they have no flavor at all. Give me chicken wings anytime.



I had the Shrimp and Spinach fettuccine. It was surprisingly good. Very light yet extremely filling, if that was possible. The sauce is made of roasted garlic cloves, olive oil, chili flakes and some sort of crumbled ham or bacon. The spinach was very fresh and green, just wilted enough to retain some crunchiness. I gather some arugula mixed in with the spinach would make this dish more spectacular.



For dessert, we ordered the New York Cheesecake with whipped cream and strawberry sauce, split in half. Now, this dessert is a little hard to explain. The cheesecake tastes like egg pie, yema and lemon curd mixed together (and not in a good way), not cheesecakey at all in my opinion. I did not taste an ounce of cream cheese. And oh, don't get me started on the crust.....cheap egg pie-like crust similar to the ones that the merienda lady sells to your office every afternoon for ten pesos. Don't waste your money on this dessert folks.



Chef d' Angelo? Hit and miss. Jury's still out.

No comments: