For dinner tonight, I made this very simple dish. It's easy and quick. Anyone can make it and it's very healthy too.
Bow Tie Pasta with Grilled Veggies
1 Green Bell pepper, cubed
1 Yellow bell pepper, cubed
1 Eggplant, cubed
Basil leaves, torn
3-5 Cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 Onion, chopped
2-3 Anchovy fillets
1 Can crushed tomatoes
1 Tablespoon capers, washed
5 Black olives, sliced into rings
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
Grated Parmesan cheese
Bow Tie Pasta, cooked per package directions
1. Place bell peppers, eggplant and some torn basil in a medium bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place vegetables in a baking sheet lined with foil. Bake at 350 until skins are slightly blackened. Remove from oven and toss with some more olive oil. Set aside.
2. In a separate pan, saute onions in olive oil until slightly wilted. Add garlic and anchovy fillets and saute for another minute. Do not brown the garlic.
3. Add the crushed tomatoes. Simmer. When bubbly, add capers, olives and the grilled vegetables. Simmer until the vegetables are warmed through. Adjust seasoning. Add torn basil at the last minute of cooking.
4. Add the bow tie pasta to the pan and toss to coat well.
5. Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese on top.
This recipe would be great with zucchini and Shitake mushrooms too. They weren't available in my neighborhood grocery so I didn't include them in this recipe. It would have made this dish a bit richer.
Don't worry about the anchovy fillets, they won't leave a fishy after taste.
The fillets will melt beautifully in the sauce and will provide just the right hint of saltiness, a mystery ingredient that most people cannot discern.