I am not proud to say that for the past five years of marriage, I have only made pancakes from a box. Lately, whenever I would ask hubby to choose between say, toasts or pancakes for breakfast, he would always choose the former. Frankly, he didn't like any of the instant stuff that I usually buy from the supermarket.
I saw a recipe for buttermilk pancakes scribbled in one of my notebooks, forgot where I copied them from but I was willing to give them a try. It certainly looked easy enough to prepare. Hubby was excited when I told him I was making buttermilk pancakes, from scratch. I felt like Kim Katrall with that cute farmer from a scene in Sex and the City :-)
Buttermilk Pancakes (for 2)
1 Tablespoon melted butter + more for frying and topping
1 Cup buttermilk
1 Egg, slightly beaten
1 Cup, sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
1-2 Tablespoons sugar
1. Sift all dry ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, combine 1 tablespoon melted butter (slightly cooled), buttermilk and eggs.
3. Pour buttermilk mixture into the dry mixture and stir just to combine or until all the dry ingredients are moist. Batter will be lumpy (and that's OK).
4. Brush some butter on a non-stick pan or griddle pan, if using. Coat the bottom of the pan. If you don't have a heat-proof pastry brush, simply add about a teaspoon of butter to the pan and swirl to coat bottom. (A heat-proof pastry brush works best though).
5. Pour batter on hot pan using a small ladle or a 1/4 cup measuring cup.
6. On medium heat, let pancakes cook on one side. You can tell they are cooked when bubbles hold their shape on the uncooked side. Flip pancakes using a wide spatula. Pancakes cook about 1-2 minutes per side. Brush top of pancakes with more melted butter.
Makes 8 medium-sized pancakes.
Top pancakes with maple syrup or honey and a pad of butter.
Best served with eggs and bacon on the side.
To substitute buttermilk:
1/4 cup buttermilk powder+1 cup water (mixed together) = 1 cup buttermilk
1 Tablespoon vinegar+enough MILK to make 1 cup= 1 cup buttermilk
These pancakes are so light and fluffy, I'll never use instant pancakes again!