Saturday, February 19, 2011

Prawns and Sole Fillet in Creamy Vodka Sauce

It's weekend again. As usual, we woke up very late this morning. I guess come Saturday, Hubby and I seem to really take advantage by sleeping in and waking up when we are actually done sleeping, ha ha.

Anyway, we had a busy busy morning (which started at 11 am, actually) doing errands, going to the palengke to buy fresh seafood and such, grocery shopping and I few others that we squeezed in before "lunch time".

I miss cooking in my own kitchen and I am a bit tired of eating the same things. I have yet to expand my housekeeper's culinary knowledge. I wanted to cook something for hubby but it was already late. I needed something that's quick to cook and a bit special, it's a weekend after all.

So, I made Prawns and Sole Fillet in Creamy Vodka Sauce. You wouldn't believe how easy this dish comes together. Here's the recipe:



12-15 pieces, prawns, peeled
1 sole fillet, cubed to bite-sized pieces
Salt and pepper to taste
Butter (oh, I would say 1/4 cup, maybe a bit more)
1 very small red onion, minced (Hubby hates onions, that's why I'm only putting a teeny weeny portion here)
1/3 cup Vodka
1 cup all purpose cream
Dried Basil (maybe a teaspoon)
Fresh parsley, snipped into little pieces

1. In a non-stick skillet, heat butter. Add in the sole fillet, turn the fish over after a minute.
2. In the same pan, add the prawns, toss for about a minute. Season to taste.
3. Remove the prawns and sole fillet. Leave the juices in the pan. Set the prawns and the sole fillets aside.
4. In the same skillet, saute the onion with the remainder of the butter. Add a bit more butter if the pan has become too dry.
5. De glaze the pan with the vodka. Add the cream and let bubble until about half of the sauce has reduced. (At this point, I think adding a tablespoon of dijon mustard might work too, for an extra layer of flavor)
6. Add the prawns and the sole fillet. Mix and simmer for a few minutes.
7. Add the basil (fresh is better, but I didn't have any) and parsley. Lots of parsley.
8. Serve piping hot.

Mine had a bit too much sauce. It would probably better to reduce the sauce a bit more before adding the seafood.

Enjoy!

No comments: