Monday, January 19, 2009

Food conversations around a restaurant's table

Pintasera. A Tagalog word for a woman who judges others. For a man, it’s called pintasero with an "o" at the end.

Honestly, I’m very easy to please when it comes to food. As long as it’s not something that my grandmother, my mom and I can't duplicate at home, I’m very easy. It’s not my fault that I grew up with such formidable cooks in my family. Their culinary skills are almost impossible to live up to. You should hear them talk when someone sends them food or when we eat out. They would say something like:

"The chef didn't put enough cream"
"I can make this better" (my mom's favorite)
"Pwe, walang lasa!" (this one's very funny)
"This spaghetti sauce is made with catsup! That's a no no" (incidentally, this is one of the pet peeves of both ladies) .
"They used substandard ingredients!"
"the meat is very tough"
"Puro vetsin! (MSG)"
"Ano ba yan, mas masarap ang luto ko!" (What's this? My cooking is better!)

That’s maybe why I focus more on desserts because that’s something that both my mom and my grandma didn’t have the patience for :-)

Yeah, I like it when people say my cookies, cakes or cupcakes are better than so and so . Why buy cookies when I bake them better at home?

Which reminds me, I was watching American Idol the other night, this girl was so pumped by her family that she was an excellent singer and keep building her up to be the next American Idol. So, her mind is filled up with these grand ideas (I believe she believed it too). Finally her audition comes up and she starts singing, I swear it was like hearing dogs whine!

Like that girl's family, I often wonder if my family only say my desserts are good, just to spare my feelings?

No comments: