Monday, July 15, 2013

Just Some Thoughts on Micronutrients

It is always a challenge to stay healthy.  I find that I struggle the most when eating out because the healthy entree selections in restaurants are limited and the salad menu is a bit boring most of the time. Very few restaurants offer organic, healthy, low fat and low salt items on their menu. At least in the areas that we frequent.

Anyway, I "cope" with these challenges by loading up on fruits and vegetables that are packed with micronutrients even before I leave the house. That way, I feel less guilty if I indulge. I don't indulge as much as I used to though. That almost makes me cry whenever I eat out because I want to order one selection from each course. Oh, well.

I often start my day with about 2-3 glasses of fresh juice. I usually have a green juice made with whatever combination of fresh produce is available (spinach, broccoli, lettuce, zucchini etc), mixed with ginger, lemon, cucumber, apple or pineapple. I also have beet juice every single day because I used to be anemic and I was even hospitalized because of it. My beet juice usually has, beets of course, squash, a carrot, ginger, an apple or an orange. 

Ginger is a big part of my daily life now. I buy usually a few kilos every week. I panicked one time when Landmark ran out. I couldn't believe they ran out! How was that even possible?! Fortunately, I still have some left at home. Whew! Disaster averted. LOL. 



My day won't be complete without my fresh juice and I can't seem to sleep well if I don't have some fresh juice at night when I get home from work.

I just hope this excess 20 lbs would just come off already! 

1 comment:

Socky said...

It's good that your juices are vegetables. Take it easy with fruits coz they contain a lot of sugar. Come to Toronto and have your fill of local, organic fresh produce :-)