Monday, May 3, 2010

Crab Torta/Relleno in Their Shell

This is a very simple yet indulgent dish to make. I purchased some blue crabs from the market last Saturday and I've been wanting to make this for quite a while. Hubby usually prefers his crabs steamed but I wanted to try something new(ish). Of course, I've had this so many times before in my youth when my mom and my grandmother were making them. I didn't consult my mom on her recipe this time, but used a variation of a recipe that I saw somewhere.

Crab Torta/Relleno



4 Blue Crabs (male, because they have more meat)
1 small potato, cubed very small, blanched
Cooking oil (I used Rice Bran oil)
1 tomato, cubed
1/4 white onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
Tomato paste
Egg, slightly beaten

1. Steam crabs and remove all the meat. Set aside the "caps".
2. In a wok, saute tomatoes, onion and garlic until soft, but not brown.
3. Add in the crab meat, blanched potatoes and tomato paste. Season and mix to combine.
4. Stuff mixture inside the crab "caps". Brush with beaten egg and fry.

Hubby liked this recipe but I think I have a few more ideas to improve this, I just didn't have the time. I was such in a rush due to the traffic that we encountered from Tagaytay, that I just made the simplest recipe that I could. After all, I had to feed a hungry husband quickly, he he he. Will let you know how it goes next time......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
i♥pinkc00kies said...

i like this :D