Friday, March 2, 2007

I am a paying customer, I demand to be heard

Great news. Cebu Pacific is offering a very low rate of P1.00 per seat on their local and international flights (Exclusive of course of the fuel surcharges, taxes and insurance). This bit of news was met with excitement and a call from Tita Socky instructing me to book our flights for our annual family vacation and arrange for hotel accommodations. No problem. We've done it before.

My excitement was quickly replaced by anger and frustration. Cebu Pacific has done it again, ladies and gentlemen. After trying to call them and book online for over 2 hours, I finally get a customer service representative (CSR) on the line. I make the booking and after some juggling on the dates and conferring with other parties involved, we finally get the desired flight dates and time.

The CSR then tells me "Ma'am kailangan po yung credit card holder eh nasa flight"
Me: "Ok, we need two separate flights for 14 people" And I go on about the division of people per flight.
CSR: "Paano po yung second flight? Kailangan nandun din yung cardholder"
Me: "Huh?" Everything will be paid by one credit card lang nag, kasi nga group booking"
CSR: "Eh kailangan po nandun yung cardholder talaga"
Me: "Paano? Hatiin ko sa dalawa tita ko?" (I was starting to fume at this point)
"This is a group booking! You're the only airline I know who has to have a cardholder in every flight"

After a few minutes of feuding, I demanded to talk to a supervisor. The CSR refused to let me talk to a supervisor to clear the matter.
The CRS said to me: "Ma'am ganun daw po talaga kailangan may cardholder at pareho ng itenirary" "They are in a meeting and they cannot be disturbed" "And hindi po kayo pwede magbayad via credit card dito, kailangan sa ticketing office"
Me: "Ok, just please book the flights, give me a booking number and we will pay at the booking office"
CSR: "Hindi po kami pwede mag book ng promo flights dito, dapat sa booking office"
Me: "You mean to tell me, we've been talking for half an hour only to say to me that I cannot book the friggin' flights?!" (Smoke is already coming out of my ears)
"What's the use of this call center?"
"You should have told me immediately so that I didn't have to waste my time talking to you!"
"I want to talk to your supervisor!"
CSR: "Hindi po talaga sila available"
Me: "You mean to tell me, there is no supervisor or a team leader or a senior CSR on the floor? The CSRs are left to run amok with the customers?"

At this point she insists that there is really no one to take my call.
I said "Ok, don't. Just give me the name of the supervisor and I'll write a formal complaint instead"
CSR: "Ma'am please be calm. Are you going to file a complaint against me?"
Me: :"I want to talk to a supervisor now! You cannot refuse me! Get your supervisor now! Pull him off the friggin' meeting!"
"I am a paying customer and I demand to be heard!" (At this point I completely lost my temper)

Supervisor comes to the phone and apologizes and explains to me that the system that they have in the call center cannot accept booking or payments for promo flights. In my years of traveling and flying, this is the first time that I have encountered an airline call center who cannot take a flight booking. Unbelievable. It can only happen in Cebu Pacific. I award them the worst customer service airline...ever!

If I may make some logical suggestions to Cebu Pacific:
1. Please brief your CSRs prior to releasing them to take calls. This is to lessen irate customers like me from tying the phone lines.
2. Do not advertise the P1.00 rate if your customer service facility is not ready to provide customer service.
3. Upgrade your booking system to accommodate the promo rates.
4. Make sure your internet service is online all the time and is capable of making bookings and payments for promo rates.
5. Put a disclaimer to your ads "Book and pay ONLY at the ticketing office"

I know Cebu Pacific is a budget airline but, it's not an excuse.

4 comments:

P said...

I am Leica, hear me roar! Let not the inept call center drones cross my path!!! :-)

Socky said...

I am forwarding this to my client ora mismo. I was just in a meeting with her, telling how excited I was that I was able to book my entire family on Cebu Pacific, thanks to their promo. That was before I heard about your verbal tiff with their CSR.

Leica said...

Thanks! I hope that your Client will be able to improve Cebu Pacific's service.

ericbau said...

Cebu Pacific call center managers, team leaders, and agents beware!!
1) Your website explicitly ALLOWS for the credit card holder NOT to be a passenger of the flight!
2) Do not refuse any caller request for escalations!
3) Do not fail to brief your agents on any ongoing promos BEFORE taking in calls. Getting the memo only an hour before the promo period is NOT an excuse. Use your emergency pull-outs, man!
4) Cebu Pacific QA: why are you NOT recording the calls? Why are you allowing the agents and team leads to get away with BAD customer service?
5) When the agents hear the caller start using call center terminologies, take the hint: the caller or the spouse is from the call center industry. :)

Yup, Cebu Pacific did it again... possibly the worst ever.