Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Antipolo Church


Last weekend Eric and I attended a baptism at the famous Antipolo Church. The trip took about an hour from our house. I slept all the way, of course.

A trip to Antipolo Church is never complete without buying the famous casuy (cashews) from vendors surrounding the church. An assortment of kakanin and sweets like suman, kalamay, panocha with peanuts, and uraro always entice churchgoers to buy. The sweets remind me of our trips in the country when we were kids. The uraro particularly have fond memories of my lolo. He would always drop by our house to deliver the sweet treat when he comes back from one of his trips in Laguna, his hometown. My brother particularly loved the sweet treat so my lolo always made it a point to buy some for my little bro.

Cashews go for P300/kilo. You have a choice of toasted, peeled and unpeeled, raw. I decided to buy the toasted variety. It was freshly cooked and we just couldn't resist buying some. The vendors are very friendly and would always invite you to taste their merchandise. Aside from the cashews, I was also offered a malagkit suman to taste and it was so good, I ended up buying some. Suman costs P50 for a bunch of 12. Suman is very good dipped in sugar, or fried and dipped in chocolate or paired with mangoes and condensed milk. Ahhh...carbohydrate heaven.

No comments: