Wednesday, February 7, 2007

My lola's Fish Au Gratin

There are days that I miss my grandmother. Today is no exception. My lola Nena was a fantastic cook. Neither me or mom my can hold a candle against her. She can transform the most mundane ingredients into something that will make your palates sing.

One of her dishes that I love is her Fish au Gratin. I decided to hit the market this morning and try to re-create this fabulous dish. With the guidance of my mom, I bought the ingredients. I never thought that this dish was so easy to make!

This dish isn't very pretty but wait 'till you taste it.

Here's how:
1. Pan fry the lightly seasoned (with sea salt) and very fresh lapu-lapu fillets in butter. Do not brown.

2. In a separate bowl, mix the following ingredients: Evaporated milk, grated Quickmelt cheese, mozzarella, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, toasted cashews, 1 cubed carrot, 12 boiled quail eggs, water chestnuts (half a can) sliced in half, sea salt and pepper to taste.

3. Transfer the fillets to a baking dish, top with the milk mixture, cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees until bubbly . Roughly 15-20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake a few more minutes to brown.

Easy as 1, 2, 3. The original recipe calls for just Quickmelt cheese. But what the hey, added calcium can't hurt, right?

As my kitchen is filled with the aroma of my childhood, I remember my lola...her cooking, her laughter and her gentle spirit. It almost felt like she was in the kitchen cooking with me.

2 comments:

ericbau said...

This is a must try! Easy on the ingredients though, as it can get very rich.

P said...

Wow, now that you know how to make this lovely dish, shall we expect this to be a regular sunday lunch feature? Bravo!