Monday, February 5, 2007

My first date

My husband came home excitedly the other day. He said, "Love, I got you some dates!" Oohhkay... So I thought what's so special about the prune-like kinda champoy looking dried fruit? It turned out that hubby got some fresh ones from Rockwell for P250 a kilo. When I looked at them, they looked like liliputan granny smith apples. Those things are dates? Even the stems look like they came from an apple fruit. My husband assured me that they truly are dates because the fruit vendor said so.

The dates that I've seen and eaten are dark reddish brown in color, oval, and about 1.5 inches long, have wrinkled skin and coated with a sweet, sticky, waxy film. So the fresh one was a surprise both in looks and texture.

So my curiosity got the better of me. I tried one. When I sliced it. There was a small pit. So I sliced it the way you would a fresh peach. Score up to the pit and twist. The taste is a cross between a pear and a peach, a little sandy in texture. Mildly sweet. I liked it.

So, there... my first (fresh) date.

2 comments:

ericbau said...

The Rockwell fruit stall also sells live "mini-ponkan" trees (I forget its real name). I swear, if it weren't for the sign they look exactly like plastic ornaments. Too bad they're way too expensive (I forget the price, but trust me: its stratospheric).

I wonder what exotic fruit I'll take home next. ;)

P said...

kiat kiat yun. looks fake nga, but those are really good.