Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Spa experience


You can say, I am sort of the official tour guide or pasyalan companion of every balikbayan family member who comes to Manila. I take them to the usual spots, Tagaytay, the malls and the tiangges. By far, the most successful and most memorable experiences that we have were at the spa. My cousin AA from Florida stayed with me for a few days after New Year. She's Kikay 2. I am Kikay 1 (I get first billing since I'm older). I took her to The Spa in Alabang. We decided to go in early so that we can soak at the jacuzzi and make chika. We come in at 11am. Lo and behold, the spa doesn't open 'till 1pm. We decided to have an iced green tea beverage at Gloria Jean's while we wait for it to open.

Kikay 2 decided to get the Moor Body wrap and a swedish massage. I decided to get just the swedish massage. Kikay 2 shells out P1,800 for the wrap and P780 for the massage. And was ecstatic to pay such a small amount for a day of pampering. In Florida, a facial alone can cost you around US$50, she says. So into the spa we go.

As we go in, we were given our own flip-flops, towel, robe and a locker key. It's quite pleasant inside. There are dressing areas, plenty of shower stalls, jacuzzi room, a lounge area where you can read and have free coffee, water, hot and iced tea, a steam room (which I haven't tried yet) and toilets. If you have OCD, the place is clean and look sterile, so relax. Kikay 2 and I smuggle in some brownies that I made the day before for sustenance.

Kikay 2 gets her body wrap first while I stew in the jacuzzi and wait for her. If you are planning to stew in the jacuzzi, get ready to stew with buck naked women (mostly Koreans and matronas). I've been there before and wasn't comfortable displaying my goods for everyone to see and gulp, criticize. I was prepared this time and I wore my bathing suit. You either go in in your natural splendor or you bring your own suit.

I get hungry and decide to eat the smuggled brownie while I wait for Kikay 2.

Kikay 2 just finished her body wrap and this is what happened according to her: She was whisked to a private room, the therapist asked her to remove her robe and then proceeds to "paint" her with the moor mud substance whatever, then gets wrapped in cling-wrap (yes, the one that you use for your ulam), and then wrapped again in a foil-like blanket and they leave you to sweat. For an hour. Kikay 2 was wrapped so tightly, she was sweating buckets, and then she gets an itch in her nose, she calls the therapist (she didn't know that she was left alone in the room since her eyes were covered) Miss? (gently at first, after all she is in a spa) Wala pa rin. She called louder. Miss?! No answer. Again she tries, no answer. With the unbearable itch in her nose, she decided to shout... Miss! Miss! Mmmmiiisssssss! Wala pa rin. So, the decided to take matters into her own hands and rolled and squirmed her way out of her prison and managed to scratch the offending itch. And went back to her straight-jacket type cocoon. Finally, the therapist came and told her "Nakawala, ka 'no!". Because she had mud streaks all over her face.

Anyway, as we waited for our massages, we kept giggling in the waiting area and the matronas kept saying "ehhherm" and we couldn't stop.

I would recommend taking your balikbayan friends to the spa. Because frankly, it may be too expensive for them to go in the States. They will feel very pampered and would definitely enjoy the experience.

Personally, I prefer the masahistas or therapists that go to your place for P250 an hour. No hassle in parking and driving and you go can to sleep immediately after. If you're in the BF and Ayala Alabang area, I recommend At your service home massage. Tel No. 809-07-29. They massage up to 1am. Call way ahead of time if it's a weekend since they get fully booked. They require a minimum of 1 and 1/2 hours massage request outside of Ayala Alabang. They bring their own massage oil but you have to provide your own towel to cover your bed and your privates. And don't forget to tell them that you don't want sleepy massage therapists if it's past 10pm. We once had the unfortunate luck of having a therapist occasionally dozing off. From then on, I tell them to give me a live one :-)

The best massage that I get of course is the one that I get for free from my hubby, Eric :)

2 comments:

Socky said...

I like your blog's new look. It's quite modern and sleek. Btw, how long have you been using the home massage service you mentioned?

Leica said...

I've been using it for more than a year. The massage therapists are quite good and they give you nice stretches after.