Friday, January 19, 2007

A harried housewife's dinner


Ok, it's been a very busy day. Husband on the way home from work. I have no energy left for a fancy shmancy dinner preparation at home. I have some sliced fish defrosted and ready to be cooked. I rummage through my refrigerator. I found some pine nuts, butter and some snow peas, carrots and a gamut of other stuff. I decided to do the simplest dish that I can think of. I heat up a non-stick pan with olive oil. Season the fish with three kinds of pepper (it comes with its own grinder), a little sea salt (that my husband bought from his trip in Taipei, of all places), pan fry the fish around 2-3 minutes per each side. Meanwhile, I blanch the peeled and sliced carrots and snow peas. Toss in butter and some of the sea salt. I remove the fish from the pan. Add more olive oil and butter to the pan. Add the pine nuts, in about 30 seconds the pine nuts are toasted (watch it carefully because they burn really fast) and I top it on the fish. If you don't have pine nuts, you may use almonds or just sliced garlic. I put the whole thing in a square plate that I bought for P175 at a Cardinal Ceramics factory store in BF. Presentation in everything. I placed the (semi)"foodstyled" fish with topping in the oven (on low) just to keep it warm while I take a quick shower before the hubby comes home. Needless to say, dinner was a success.

3 comments:

Socky said...

Sounds good! What kind of fish did you use?

Leica said...

I made that dinner a long time ago. I think it was maya-maya. But I tried the garlic butter sauce on gindara last night, it was good too.

P said...

So it turned out to be a fancy schmancy dinner after all - rachel ray would be so proud... :-)