Sunday, June 12, 2011

Crabs with Sotanghon

I've been meaning to cook crabs with sotanghon for as long as I can remember. I just put it off because hubby doesn't like crabs with anything on it. But last Saturday, I couldn't resist the fresh crabs from the market and bought two of really meaty male crabs. Male crabs has less of the aligue (fat) than their bakla (gay) or female counterparts.

Anyway, I'm posting this recipe as a future reference for me when I am cooking. Ha ha ha. I often refer to my blog when sourcing for recipes that I have made previously or a recipe that I may want to improve or tweak. So, this blog is really my personal recipe vault. I just add some stories to make it interesting, ha ha ha.



Crabs with Sotanghon (Vermicelli noodles)
Estimated measurements only, sorry.

2 large crabs, chopped in half
Olive oil
2 -3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 white onion, finely chopped
4 thin slivers of ginger
2-3 cups of home made chicken or beef broth, (boiling)
2-3 tablespoons Kikkoman soy sauce
2-3 tablespoons oyster sauce (I suggest to use Lee Kum Kee)
1-3 tablespoons sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
Vermicelli noodles, softened in hot water, drained and rinsed in cold water, to prevent sticking
Cilantro leaves for garnish

1. In medium heat, saute onions and ginger in olive oil. When onions are soft, add the chopped garlic. Saute just until fragrant, do not brown.
2. Add the crabs to the pan (at this point, my crabs were so fresh, they were still moving even if they were already chopped in half!)
3. Add the boiling soup stock. This is to prevent the pan from losing its heat.
4. Add Kikkoman, oyster sauce, sugar, salt and pepper.
5. Simmer until crabs are almost cooked. Adjust seasoning at this point.
6. Add the vermicelli noodles and cook for a few more minutes.
7. When cooked and most of the broth has been absorbed by the noodles, remove from heat.
8. Serve on a platter and garnish with cilantro leaves.

I would probably add some chopped onion leaves to the broth next time. Recipe in progress.

No comments: